Edit 837 file with Excel

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Greetings,

I am in need of editing an 837 file through Excel for testing. Excel file should have the claim related information only, so that I can edit the file with different policy information and again convert back to X12 format.

Please guide me; thank you so munch in advance.
Developer
Jan 29, 2014 at 3:37 PM
For creating the Excel file you will want to follow the instructions at: Create835Excelfile and alter them for the 837 fields you will want for creating the Excel file.

As for creating an 837 file from an excel file, it would probably be best to transform the XLS into the XML format that the X12Parser reads and bring it back in that way.

For some more examples of XSLT transforms on X12 data to give some ideas, you might look in the OopFactory.X12 project/Transformations folder for some ideas.
Jan 29, 2014 at 4:56 PM
I appreciate your help MarkWalls! I am working on Visual C# Express Editor (new to C#) and could not find xslt template as mentioned in the example. Is it possible to do - X12 --> Xml -->xls with out using xslt?
Developer
Jan 30, 2014 at 3:45 PM
That could certainly work. You can serialize any interchange you read in to XML (interchange.Serialize()....) and then you could read it in excel and map it there. Help for Excel.

I would suggest leaving the comments on at first in the XML (interchange.Serialize(false)) until you get comfortable with what all the elements are, then turn them off for space savings if that is important to you.