Is there any good resource to start learning EDI?

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:06 PM
Edited Jun 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I just have started researching about EDI, and I discovered this project from googling. I think this is a good tool but I still don't have the basic foundation of EDI. Any help to find a good starting point to learn EDI would be much appreciated.

Keep up the good work!

Coordinator
Jun 22, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Most of the implementation guides for a transaction set have some good information about basic workflow from different trading partners.

You probably need to start somewhere that will explain how trading partners and clearinghouses pass this information around for Business-To-Business communication.

This website will help you to visualize the messages once you understand which messages you need.

Jun 22, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I am actually interested on 837P as this is one of the requirements in the current project that I am working on. I still have 3 months time frame before I could start working for the billing process.

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM

The Implementation Guides are actually quite thorough in their explanation of the workflow of EDI messages as well as the format.

Washington Publishing Company publishes all of these documents:  http://www.wpc-edi.com/content/view/661/393/.

If your company is doing this work, it should already have purchased the necessary specifications.

In my own research I have found that most tools out there are either very expensive or does not have many features or relies too heavily on a database integration.

If there is a particular area of the 837P that is unclear to you, I would be happy to blog about it and point to good resources for further explanation.  Anything that will encourage other users to try out the parser will be worth the effort.

Developer
Jul 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I found the following guide to be helpful in beginning to understand X12: http://www.xtranslator.com/prod/beginguidex12.pdf. I'm sure no where near the depth of the official guides, but a good place to start.