This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Problems parsing NTE segments in 837 file

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:09 PM
I have a large number of 837 files for a client that I'm attempting to parse using OopFactory's DLLs. Overall I'm very impressed, but I have one issue that I'm not sure how best to resolve. I have hundreds of instances of NTE segments that look like this:

NTE>ADD>1234567890123:ABC:123 ~

It's a valid segment as I interpret the HIPAA spec, but the problem arises from the colons imbedded in the text of the note. The colon is the sub-element delimiter for my file and the parser is interpreting it as such in this segment and choking when trying to convert to a claim document.

I'm not sure how best to address this - update the raw file to get rid of the colons? Update the parser to ignore sub-element delimiters in segments that don't support subelements? Anyone else encountered this? How did you resolve it?

Thanks!
Sep 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM
please post what you mean by choking, I will see if I can fix in the claim document transformation.
Sep 23, 2014 at 1:12 PM
I actually fixed it about 10 minutes later. It produced the XML file but then failed trying to transform it into a claim document. I resolved the problem by making the following change In the Parsing.Model dll, file Segment.cs.

I changed this if statement:
                if (_dataElements[i].IndexOf(_delimiters.SubElementSeparator) < 0 || SegmentId == "BIN" || SegmentId == "BDS")
                {

To this:
                if (_dataElements[i].IndexOf(_delimiters.SubElementSeparator) < 0 || SegmentId == "BIN" || SegmentId == "BDS" || SegmentId == "NTE")
                {