834 Transformation File

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM
The documentation has great examples for 837's but I can't figure out how to make my own for 834's. I also can't find any examples. has anyone here ever gone through the tutorial and made 834's output to excel?
Dec 14, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Edited Dec 14, 2013 at 2:19 AM
My brain hurts from trying to do this. So, I know a list of fields that I'm trying to "retrieve" from the 834's. I assume this simply means I need to write a transformation that can "extract" those out. The issue is, I have no idea how to do that. I've done a raw parse of an 834 just to see the various XML "sections" using Excel. Looking at the data, I can start to map the 834 to the field names that I need. I have to just look at the data though and do a bit of guess work.

Quick Edit
I wanted you all to have an example. So after I've run an 834 through the X12Parser, I've opened it in Excel and can see that the column header ISA08 matches "Partner ID". How do I tell the transformation file this information.
Jan 1, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Edited Jan 2, 2014 at 1:43 PM
I agree. The 837 are well documented and I am able to generate a valid 837 message. I'm having trouble figuring out how to generate the 834 5010 spec.
Jan 2, 2014 at 7:22 AM
Are you guys trying to do the same thing? Austin looks like he wants to output an existing X12 file into a flat format/excel. EdiGuy, it looks like you are trying to populate the X12 data model to output a new file from scratch.

Anyway, Austin, per the instructions here: Creating a flat file or Excel file from the X12 xml using XSLT and XslCompiledTransform state that you can use xslt to transform the parsed xml file into any format you want. This page has a download link to the sample project that loads and applys the xslt. I have an interest in flattening an 834 myself, so if I ever get around to it I'll let you know.
Developer
Jan 23, 2014 at 2:02 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.